I make this one when I need to get through a few leftover veggies or the contents of my fridge is a little lack lustre. I use a rice cooker to make my ‘risotto’ which also has a sauté setting. If you don’t have this, you could sauté everything in a pan then transfer it to the cooked rice and combine everything in a large saucepan or bowl.
This recipe works well with grated zucchini or the stem of broccoli grated as well. It’s the perfect no waste meal!
You will need:
- 2 cups pumpkin (approx.), chopped into 2cm pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup tasty cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 180˚C
- Cut off skin and cut out seeds from the pumpkin then cut into 2cm pieces, place on a lined baking tray and place in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown but soft, making sure to turn half way through cooking time
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion and celery and add to a hot fry pan or into the rice cooker on sauté setting add a little olive oil and cook until soft
- For rice, either cook according to manufacturer’s instructions or add into rice cooker along with celery and onion then add stock, turn on to risotto or rice setting
- Just as rice almost cooked, add in finely grated carrot, stir to combine
- Once rice is cooked, add nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice and cooked pumpkin, combine and mash pumpkin through the rice
- Grate cheese and stir through rice
- Season to taste and serve!